Individual therapy is a journey toward wellness, wholeness, and joy.
Individual counseling is a collaborative effort between you and your counselor. Their goal is to provide an open, supportive, and confidential environment for you to address the issues that are concerning you and to accompany you as you work toward the changes you seek in your life.
The process in individual therapy or counseling involves meeting together to determine what it is that you would like to work on, so that you and your therapist can develop an understanding of how you can best work together.
During the first few sessions the therapist collects information about your current life, your strengths, resources, current patterns and about the family you grew up in. After this, you and the therapist begin addressing the issues that brought you in to counseling, so that you can start to feel better. We will work together to ensure that you feel safe and supported through the therapeutic process.
People seek therapy for a number of reasons:
Depression can leave you feeling hopeless, fatigued, pessimistic and empty. You can lose interest in hobbies, friends, work and even life itself. It doesn't have to be this way. Working through depression is possible with individual therapy.
Anxiety can be debilitating and leave you feeling helpless, frantic, paranoid and even depressed. It can seem like a never-ending struggle. Therapy can help you step out of the anxiousness cycle and find a greater sense of peace and stability.
Everyone experiences loss, and deals with their grief in their own way. For many the pain may seem unbearable and they turn self-destructive behaviors to cope. Grief counseling will help you process your loss so you can let the healing begin and learn healthier ways to move through grief toward renewed joy for life.
Individual Therapy can help you to:
- Develop new perspectives and life skills so that you can free yourself from habitual patterns of anxiety, depression, and self-criticism.
- Deal with addictive behaviors including substance abuse, relationship issues, gambling and eating disorders, etc.
- Reclaim your sense of personal power.
- Learn to take responsibility and move forward in your life rather than feeling stuck, helpless and hopeless.
- Find ways to relate to emotional or physical suffering so that inevitable suffering brings wisdom & compassion rather than depression & anger.
- Improve the quality of your relationships by developing more life affirming behaviors.
- Provide you with a set scheduled time to attend to your own needs and regain your perspective.
Contact us today to make your first individual counseling appointment!